A fence is an essential part of any property, as it serves various purposes, such as marking boundaries, providing privacy, and enhancing curb appeal. However, maintaining the area around a fence can be a challenging task, especially when it comes to lawn care. To make life easier for homeowners, Utah Fencing Company offers an elegant solution – the mow strip. In this blog post, we will discuss what a mow strip is, why it’s done, the benefits it offers, and the costs involved.
What is a Mow Strip?
Many peope ask us, “What is cement under a fence called?” It’s a Mow Strip. A mow strip, also known as a concrete mowing strip or weed barrier, is a narrow strip of concrete or other durable material installed along the base of a fence. This cement strip serves as a barrier between the fence and the grass, making it easier to maintain the lawn without damaging the fence or struggling with stubborn weeds and grass.
Why is it Done?
Mow strips are installed for various reasons, the most important being lawn maintenance and fence protection. Here are some reasons why homeowners and businesses choose to install mow strips:
- Easier Lawn Maintenance: A mow strip allows you to mow right up to the fence line without worrying about damaging the fence or your lawn equipment. This saves time and effort by eliminating the need for additional trimming or edging along the fence line.
- Fence Protection: Mow strips prevent grass and weeds from growing too close to the fence, reducing the risk of moisture damage, rot, or rust. By keeping the fence base clear, a mow strip helps extend the life of your fence and minimizes maintenance needs.
- Aesthetic Appeal: A clean and well-maintained fence line enhances the overall appearance of your property. Mow strips provide a neat and tidy look by creating a defined boundary between your lawn and fence, adding to your property’s curb appeal.
- Weed Control: Mow strips act as a barrier to prevent weeds and grass from encroaching on the fence, reducing the need for frequent weed control and herbicide applications.
Benefits of Installing a Mow Strip
The benefits of installing a mow strip as part of your fencing project include:
- Time and Effort Savings: Mow strips reduce the time and effort required for lawn maintenance around the fence line, making it easier to keep your property looking neat and tidy.
- Fence Longevity: By preventing moisture and plant growth near the fence, mow strips help extend the life of your fence, ultimately saving you money on repairs and replacements.
- Improved Curb Appeal: A well-maintained and visually appealing property can increase its value. Mow strips contribute to a polished look, giving your property an edge over others in the neighborhood.
- Environmentally Friendly: By reducing the need for herbicides and other chemical treatments, mow strips offer an environmentally friendly solution for weed control.
The Cost of a Mow Strip
The cost of installing a mow strip depends on various factors, such as the material used, the size of the project, and the labor involved. Generally, the two most common materials used for mow strips are concrete and pavers.
- Concrete: A concrete mow strip is typically less expensive than one made of pavers. The cost of a concrete mow strip can range from $5 to $10 per linear foot, depending on the width and thickness. However, these prices may vary based on local labor and material costs.
- Pavers: Mow strips made from pavers are usually more aesthetically pleasing and can be designed to match your existing landscaping. The cost of paver mow strips can range from $10 to $20 per linear foot, depending on the type of pavers used and the complexity of the installation. Keep in mind that paver mow strips may require more maintenance over time, as they can shift or settle, necessitating adjustments or repairs.
When determining the overall cost of a mow strip, it’s important to consider not only the initial installation cost but also the long-term savings on maintenance and fence repairs. Mow strips may seem like an added expense at first, but their benefits can result in substantial savings over time.
Mow strips offer a practical and aesthetically pleasing solution to the challenges of maintaining a clean and tidy fence line. By protecting your fence from moisture and plant growth, mow strips can extend its life, reduce maintenance costs, and improve the overall appearance of your property. If you’re considering installing a fence, be sure to discuss the option of adding a mow strip with your fencing professional.
At Utah Fencing Company, we’re dedicated to providing our clients with high-quality fencing solutions tailored to their specific needs. Whether you’re looking to install a new fence or upgrade your existing one, our team of experts can help you choose the right mow strip to enhance and protect your investment. Contact us today to discuss your fencing needs and get a free, no-obligation quote.